Recently, a new strain of the coronavirus has been in the news. Coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) is an infectious illness caused by severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2). The disease has made its way around the world since 2019, resulting in the 2019–20 coronavirus pandemic.
What Are the Symptoms?
The CDC lists the following symptoms: Fever, a dry cough, and shortness of breath are the most common symptoms. Less common symptoms include muscle pain, mucus, and sore throat. Most cases result in mild symptoms; however, some cases do progress to pneumonia and more serious illness. The vast majority of COVID-19 related deaths are people over the age of 60 who have severe underlying health complications such as heart disease, diabetes, or respiratory issues.
Are Children at Risk?
Thankfully, children under the age of 19, and especially children under the age of 9 are not readily contracting the virus, or if they do contract the virus, the symptoms are relatively mild. Dr. Thomas Murray, MD, Ph.D., a Yale Medicine pediatric infectious disease specialist and associate medical director for infection prevention at Yale New Haven Children’s Hospital, says, “For reasons that nobody fully understands, COVID-19 does not appear to cause severe disease in children.”
Take Safety Precautions for the Sake of Others
This resiliency to the disease among children does not mean they should not take precautions to avoid contracting the disease. On the contrary, they could get the illness and then pass it on to others who are more vulnerable such as grandparents who have underlying health issues. So, personal health hygiene is vitally important.
The management at Kids ‘R’ Kids Learning Academy of Circa FishHawk understands these risks. They encourage parents to follow the following steps suggested by the CDC for personal health hygiene in the home and in public. Kids ‘R’ Kids Learning Academy also is taking a very proactive approach to keeping the children, staff, and parents safe.
Steps to Prevent COVID-19 in the Home
Everyone is advised to protect themselves and others by taking steps such as are suggested here by the CDC. The CDC recommends that people:
- Wash hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds or use hand sanitizer.
- Avoid touching the eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Practice social distancing when possible. Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Seek medical attention should symptoms appear.
- Self-quarantine. Stay home if sickness strikes or there has been exposure to COVID-19.
- Cover the mouth and nose with a tissue when coughing or sneezing. Or, use the inside of your elbow.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched surfaces daily.
These are the most basic steps that anyone can take to protect themselves and others from COVID-19. For more detailed information, visit the Kids ‘R’ Kids Learning Academy of Circa FishHawk webpage about COVID-19 awareness and precautions.
Steps Taken by Kids ‘R’ Kids Learning Academy of Circa FishHawk to Prevent COVID-19
The response at Kids ‘R’ Kids Learning Academy of Circa FishHawk to the COVID-19 pandemic has been comprehensive, reflecting their core commitment to cleanliness, hygiene, and health.
The safety and well-being of the children in their care, the children’s families, and the Academy staff are the highest priority at the educational preschool. This genuine, compassionate attitude is the core of the Kids ‘R’ Kids Learning Academy mission and policies.
Their precautions conform to those of the World Health Organization, Public Health Departments, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Child Care Licensing, and state/local officials.
Steps to Prevent COVID-19 at Kids ‘R’ Kids Circa FishHawk
Proactive guidelines and practices include:
Screening of children and parents at facility entrances & transfer points:
- Children in Suites 300 to After Care are using the Kiss & Go Lane. At the transfer point, all children are screened for their temperature. Any child with a temperature higher than 100.4 degrees will not be allowed to attend the preschool that day. They can return when they are well.
Handwashing by parents and children prior to touching door handles and entering classrooms
- Children and parents enrolled in Suites 100-250 are only permitted to enter the school after their temperature has been taken. Parents then wash their hands and their children’s hands before touching the door handles and entering the classroom. If parents wish to give their child to a staff person at entry, the staff will take them.
End-of-the-day exit plan to protect children and provide a smooth transition from facility to vehicle
- At the conclusion of the day, families call ahead to inform the staff that they are outside to pick up their children. A staff member will deliver the child to their parent once the parent moves up in the car-line line.
Manual sign-in/sign-out to further protect against catching the virus
- Kids ‘R’ Kids has put in place a manual sign-in/ sign-out system for children and staff. The fingerprint system has been temporarily disabled.
Staff screening prior to entering the facility and beginning the workday
- Every staff member is screened before entering the building and reporting to work.
- The enhancement programs are also suspended for the time being.
Limiting contact with the public
- Tours for new families are suspended until further notice.
Limiting student contact within the school environment
- All snacks and lunches are served inside the classrooms to avoid children being in contact with other students. The ‘family style’ dining has been suspended.
- Outside playtime schedules have limits to the number of children out at any given time.
Accommodating the needs of Kids ‘R’ Kids families with school-age children
- The school-age program is open to assist families that need these services.
Intensified daily and nightly cleaning and disinfecting of the entire facility
- The nightly cleaning service and Mr. Juan have intensified their efforts to clean and disinfect the classrooms and facility.
Continuing academic activities online
Kids ‘R’ Kids Learning Academy is launching a virtual curriculum for children to use at home. It will be emailed to parents on Fridays for the upcoming week. These activities are a way for families to keep their children up with the Kids ‘R’ Kids curriculum, even if the children are at home.
Ongoing efforts to stay out in front
Kids ‘R’ Kids Learning Academy continues to take advice from Childcare Licensing, Kids ‘R’ Kids International, DCF, the Center for Disease Control (CDC) and the World Health Organization (WHO) concerning safety measures that ensure the health and safety of the Kids ‘R’ Kids Learning Academy children, families, and staff.
The challenges presented by COVID-19 are international in scope. Kids ‘R’ Kids Learning Academy of Circa FishHawk is pursuing prevention strategies in the best interest of all parties involved—children, parents and caregivers, and staff. Parents, children, and staff are encouraged to follow the recommendations provided on the Kids ‘R’ Kids Learning Academy website and to share them with their friends and family.
For more information, contact Kids ‘R’ Kids Learning Academy of Circa FishHawk at (813) 654-7000.